Sunday, December 9, 2012

Into the Wild: Chris and I

Chris McCandless was a man who loved an adventure to say the least. He saw the worst in society, and the best in some people. On his way to Alaska, he touched a lot of people's lives. When he got too close, he had to leave an continue the journey he set forth upon. Not only did he want to live in the wild alone, but he went unprepared and knew that there was a chance he wouldn't come back. It's unfortunate that he wasn't able to come back after he had learned so many lessons about life. As he said "Happiness only real when shared."If he thought this way before he left, he may have not gone to Alaska and/or if he did he may have not gone alone. 

I have a few things in common with Chris, one is that I too love a great adventure. Chris loved to tell stories of his life and as I filmmaker I can really relate to his passion to not only tell stories, but live them as well.

Chris went through a lot of stress when he found out that his dad was living two separate lives, I have divorced parents but I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to figure out that your dad secretly has another family with another woman.

I feel like what Chris did was selfish in a way because he didn't just leave his family and friends by going to Alaska, but he didn't go prepared and he went alone. There was nothing safe about what he did   and he knew that and would likely come to regret it in the end.

     Chris didn't like the way society was and he was a very smart young man. I wish he could've had a greater desire to influence others because I feel that he had the potential to become a very successful writer. In the book and the movie you see how much of an impact he had on those that he encountered on his way to Alaska and he had the potential to make an impact on people at a much larger scale if he didn't go "Into the Wild".

     I feel like I connect with Chris's concerns about society, but unlike Chris I want to share my views with others as much as I can, that's one reason why I want to become a filmmaker and I just wish that chris realized that happiness is only real when it's shared before he left so that his life lessons didn't cost him his life.

1 comment:

  1. We could have learned so much from Chris

    ReplyDelete